Thompson’s Station area information
The beautiful town of Thompson’s Station is situated seven miles due south of Franklin, and neighbors Spring Hill and was incorporated in the year 1990. It is part of Williamson County, in the Nashville-Davidson metro area of the state of Tennessee.
Before the area was known as Thompson’s Station, pioneers arrived as early as 1799. They mostly came from Virginia and N. Carolina, having in their possession land grants that were given to them for their assistance during the Revolutionary War. In 1833, the village was known as Whit House, as stated by the Tennessee Post Offices and Postmaster Appointments, 1799 – 1984. It’s name was then changed to Littlebury or Littleberry, seemingly after Littleberry R. Starks who was assigned as postmaster that very year. Decades later in 1856, Dr. Elijah Thompson provided land on which the village was founded and from that time it has since been known as Thompson’s Station. Dr. Thompson was influential in acquiring money for the rail network which helped make Thompson’s Station a thriving transport center for southern Williamson County.
By the year 1886 the village had one to two hundred residents, as recorded by Goodspeed’s History of Williamson County. In 1866 the railroad station was constructed, most likely as a replacement for the one demolished in the course of the Battle of Thompson’s Station in 1863. A map of Thompson’s Station provides evidence of several businesses located near the railroad, of which one was a drug store. A few general stores operated from time to time. To accommodate the blossoming business environment, the Thompson’s Station Bank was built in the year 1913 and remains as the only historical business structure that still stands today. Once the railroad fell to ruins, the business district of Thompson’s Station no longer existed and for years afterwards featured only two shops, a mail depot and an auto garage. With the arrival of the GM Saturn Automobile manufacturing plant in nearby Spring Hill in 1989, the town of Thompson Station experienced a rapid increase in housing developments to accommodate its new employees. In response to this, Thompson’s Station was incorporated to stop the intruding occupation from Spring Hill.
Points of Interest
The Great Rail Trail – Thompson’s Station Depot (Stop #21) – As the railroads made their way through the states of Kentucky and Tennessee they left behind their heritage. The state of Tennessee has a vivid railroad history and Thompson’s Station is one of the stops along this historical railroad tour. Won’t you take part in experiencing a bit of the area’s rich history?
Families and outdoor lovers will enjoy a visit to Thompson’s Station Park. It has a playground, pavilion and walking trail. Heritage Park is a youth recreation area with baseball, softball, basketball, volleyball and wrestling curriculums for children and teens.